Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Native American Hand Puppet

I made this hand puppet in 3rd or 4th grade.

This is the only artwork from Elementary school that I was able to keep over the years. My family moved from Los Angeles to Boston in 1978, and we literally packed a suitcase and moved to Grandmas house. We did not 'pack up the house' we were told to only take what was most important to us (if it fit into a suitcase). Somehow, this hand puppet was important to me.

I made her with my own hands, and I have kept her safe now for over 34 years. Her necklace has seen better days, her dress is a bit tattered, and she shows her age with her cracked face, but to me she is beautiful and I am proud that she hasn't fallen apart after all these years.

She is surely not my first art/craft, but she is the oldest one still in my possession. I love her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should love her. I'm so impressed with your craftacular abilities so young. You go, Nancy!

julie said...

I love her too. Both you and Anna made one. I was always very envious and wished I could've made one (or keep yours). She's great!

Ann Gorbett said...

She is beautiful! Looks like she belongs in a museum. You have taken good care of her.

Tulitac is my verification word. Sounds crafty, doesn't it?

Suzanne said...

very cool nancy- you've done a wonderful job keeping her in such great shape.