I decided on a design for a ring with free moving petals riveted to the shank. The blank for the shank was sawed out of 18 gauge silver sheet. The petals were sawed out of 20 gauge, drilled and formed slightly, and the wire that will connect the two is 14 gauge. The petals will each be textured differently.
I made seven petals, although I may just use five since height may become an issue. The texturing will thin them slightly, so I will just have to see how it goes.
The shank is soldered closed and the wire will be soldered to the shank before the final riveting.
So this is as far as I got today. I like the idea of taking pictures in different stages of the process, I wish I had done this with the ufo and the P.
I hope to sand the seam to invisible, and finish the shank to a high shine, as well as one petal, and the rivet. The rest of the petals will all have a feel and look all their own.