Saturday, February 03, 2007

First assignment, piercing...two dimensional design

I am really loving my metals class. Our first project was to make a two dimensional piercing in the metal of our choice. This assignment started last Saturday (1/27), and concluded this Saturday (2/03). I chose a simple framed ufo design. I used 18 gauge sterling silver sheet. I plan on soldering a bail to the back, I didn't want to just cut a hole for a jumpring. The polish is high, 1200grit, you probably can't see that from the photo, but I spent a lot of time on the finishing of this piece, and it will most likely be a gift once it is completed. I am really not a ufo type person, but I liked the design and it was simple. I got some great practice with the saw and drill press on this one. This piece is 1 inch square of silver sheet.



Since I made such a simple first design, I had time to make another. This is a copper dog tag for my favorite pet, Perry...we call him P. Another very simple design, but this one was made especially for P with love. I had planned to saw out the circle, but discovered that I had access to some cool hand tools like the circle punches. This tag was punched out before piercing. A 1" circle punch on 18 gauge copper sheet...brute force was key in the execution! It took quite a few precice blows with the hammer to finally get the hole punched out, and some more brute force to get the 1" punch out of the steel holder.
I think Perry will really like it, in fact, I almost wish I didn't waste so much time in the finishing, because I know after an hour of putting it on his collar it will look nothing like this. I have to wait until next week to give it to him, because he will surely destroy it, and since it is part of my assignment, I want it to be prestine for the instructor to judge next week...then P can have his way with it. This piece is a 1 inch circle of copper. I struggled with the lopsided P, but as I worked it, I grew fond of the cartoonish lettering.



I initially cut a square out of my copper sheet to saw the circle for Perry's tag out of, this was before I knew I could punch it out. Needless to say, I had a lot of waste. I decided to do something with the wasted copper. A circle in a square that was not centered. I decided to cut points as in sunrays into the scrap. I think this may end up being layered somehow into some other design with another metal underneath...I really don't know what to do with this, but I am sure it will end up being something or other. It is shown with the piece that was punched out. This piece is approximately 1 1/2 inches square...although its not square anymore.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

your sawing is very good. almost as good as teri bienvenue's sawing.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty "P". you should have done a "T" ...because all the perfect people in the world have names that begin with "T".
I bet you could do all the letters of the alphabet wicked good and shiny !!!
111111111111111111111111111111111
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

nancyrosetta said...

Teri,
Thanks for your anonymous comments.
I am so glad you can have some fun with me.

Anonymous said...

I love your guts zetta !!!!!!!
11111111111111111111111
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
oh no it's...CeCeCeCeCeCe.
.......(hehehehehe)
love,
Te...um...I mean anonymous........

Kathy Weller said...

awesome work, nanners! keep up the good work..

The Lone Beader said...

Wow! I really like this piece on the left. So cool=:)